Re: gEDA-user: gEDA Suite CD - round 2

[ Ales here, I'm reposting this since majordomo didn't recognize the
  e-mail as being subscribed to the geda-dev/geda-user mailinglist. ]

-- Cut here --
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 21:08:48 -0800
From: Alvin Oga <alvin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

hi ya charles

On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 11:56:51PM -0500, Charles Lepple wrote:

> > this relates to live / install distro choice how?
>
> John: some Live CDs come with bootloaders that work on USB Flash
> drives, which generally includes USB-to-CF bridges.

getting access to usb is via scsi .. not ide ( cf )
	at least at /dev/sda driver levels

> Alvin: I don't want to sound like a broken record, but Knoppix
> sidesteps this issue...

any live cdrom will do the same is all i'm saying,
knoppix is NOT the only live cd out there or that will install itself

> the CD/flash drive is read-only,

cd media is read only as far st most cdroms and drives,
but a cdrw media is writable on a cdrw drive and cf if writeable

> and all
> read/write filesystems are either on a hard drive, or in RAM. The

maybe in your environment, but that doesn't mean that's what others do

> flash never gets "powered off" until the filesystem is unmounted, but
> if it isn't mounted read/write, it shouldn't matter.

again, that the right way, to umount first, but not everybody
does that
- i bet even you turned off the pc before it unmounted everything

	- things break and gets worst as "bad habits" are continued
	at which time they call for help, come fix this, and they say
	but we been doing that for years ( and i say, now it's broken )

have fun
alvin