Re: gEDA-user: solder strip

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 06:07:25PM +0100, Mario Klebsch wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Am 06.01.2005 um 02:14 schrieb Dan McMahill:
> >but if you want to be certain you don't forget them, you need to add
> >to the
> >schematic.  I am a firm believer that anything which needs a special
> >hole (mounting hole, test point, shield can, etc) or special footprint
> >(surface mount probe points, etc) needs to be on the schematic.  That
> >doesn't enforce correct placement (mounting holes which need to line
> >up to a chassis for examle), but it does make sure they end up on the
> >board.
>
> When arguing this way, it should be possible to place an element in the
> schematic, which ends up as the board outline in PCB. This really would
> be cool, especially when you have to do non-rectangular boards. :-)

Hi Mario,

I like that idea.  Especially if you have a standard chassis that
you might use often.  You could have a element which had the mounting
holes and board outline.  Same comment applies to a card for
a particular computer or backplane slot.

Eventually I guess you'd maybe like a DRC check that looks for over
lapping parts and a flag which says "hey, this is an outline type
part, overlaps are ok".

-Dan