Re: gEDA-user: [RFC 5/6] Use of X server clipboard

On Sat, 2009-01-17 at 16:58 -0500, der Mouse wrote:
> > Currently, if you 'copy' in gschem and 'paste' in another program,
> > nothing useful happens.  We should ideally try and use the X
> > clipboard.
>
> I would actually recommend you use PRIMARY, not CLIPBOARD (though I
> also recognize that you may not have meant "clipboard" to be the
> technical term here).

No, Peter B and I discussed this, and we explicitly did _not_ want to
use PRIMARY.

The UI paradigm for PRIMARY is passing the currently selected text
between applications.

If we start claiming the PRIMARY X selection every time someone has a
schematic object selected in gEDA, we get into a rather tedious
situation where copy-pasting text, then pasting into an attribute of
said selected component becomes very awkward.

I don't know of any other applications which claim the PRIMARY selection
for graphical objects.

> "Maybe."  An ascii-graphics rendering of the schematic might actually
> be more useful in some circumstances.

You can code it, but please make sure to include support for all the
paths and bezier line segments etc. ;)

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,