Re: gEDA-user: Light? Heavy? Reuse...

On Jan 17, 2009, at 6:27 PM, Bob Paddock wrote:

>> It's a one-liner in AWK to hide all value= attributes.
>
> For you or I or most everyone here, yes.  However there may
> very well be people that simply want to use the tool to get
> a task done, and have zero interest in figuring out what
> a attribute is, or where it might be located, or why they should care.

Wrap it in a shell script and publish it as a utility. But keep it
easy for people to construct such utilities.

>> A trivial automation problem in the gEDA architecture.
>> Radical flexibility.
>
> Which can lead to a paralyzing inability to use it.
> Anything that does limit flexibility is bad.
> That flexibility should not prevent methods
> from being built into the tools.

The problem is that the more complicated the tools' models of the
data and the behavior of each other become, the more likely it
becomes that the "one liner in AWK" has unanticipated consequences. A
well-factored set of tools avoids this, keeps simple things simple.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx