Re: gEDA-user: duplique

On Wednesday 21 January 2009, Patrick Dupre wrote:
>Hello,
>
>After I made a pcb, can I duplicate it on the same silk ?
>Then I go get several at the same time.
>
>Thank

If you mean making another pcb by using the same silk, yes.  We used to do
that 40 some years ago at a tv station, where such things as audio and video
DA's are often used by the dozens.  But because the silk will dry and clog up
if you don't very carefully rinse all the ink out of it, You should do as
many as you need plus another 25% or so for future expansion use when the
silk is ready to use.  When we cleaned the silk up, it was total, and then
ready to re-use for the next board we made.  The same silk & frame will last
for several years worth of small production runs if cared for.

Today though, with the narrower traces commonly used, I'd suspect the hand
work to fix holes and smears would probably soon drive you to a photographic
resist process.  Or to cutting machinery, needing no etch chemistry at all,
just a good board scrubbing when its done from the plating of thru holes and
via's.  That plating was the one process we didn't have the stuff to do, but
our spray etcher could preserve our notes written in the 10x10 when reduced
4/1, perfectly readable at .025" high in the copper, which amazed me in the
middle 60's when I was doing it.

Seems like silk screen for pcb's would be rather arcane technology today
though.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)