gEDA-user: using ps2pdf with gshcem, bad fonts?

In gschem 20060123 when I 'print' this text:

"10k resistors on ProgX pins set default
charge parameters.  Populate as required,
see Table in datasheet."

it looks fine in the PostScript output with 'gv' and 'ps2pdf'
but if I 'print' this text as part of my schematic:

"When DISP# is tied to Vcc, the SEG1-5 outputs are inactive.
When DISP# is left floating, the display becomes active
whenever the BQ2050H detects a charge in progress
VSRO > VSRQ.  When pulled low, the segment outputs become
active for a period of four seconds, +/- 0.5 seconds."

it looks crap. The font changes to some kind of fuzzy bold.

I have tried shortening the 'bad' text and sometimes it comes
out ok looking and some times it looks bad, the results are
inconsistent.

Any suggestions to make it all come out looking good?