Re: gEDA-user: PCB compilation wipeout on OpenBSD

Karel Kulhavy wrote:
On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 03:18:31PM -0400, Dan McMahill wrote:

Karel Kulhavy wrote:

After installing all the dependencies not mentioned in README I could configure,
but my make still wipes out:

/usr/bin/m4 -I . -F pcblib ./common.m4 TTL_74xx_DIL.m4 amphenol.m4 connector.m4 crystal.m4 generic.m4 gtag.m4 jerry.m4 linear.m4 logic.m4 lsi.m4 memory.m4 optical.m4 pci.m4 resistor_0.25W.m4 resistor_adjust.m4 resistor_array.m4 texas_inst_amplifier.m4 texas_inst_voltage_reg.m4 transistor.m4 amp.m4 bourns.m4 cts.m4 geda.m4 johnstech.m4 minicircuits.m4 panasonic.m4
m4: unknown option -- F
usage: m4 [-gs] [-Dname[=value]] [-d flags] [-I dirname] [-o filename] [-t macro] [-Uname]
gmake[2]: *** [pcblib] Error 1

I looked into man m4 on some Linux box and -F is -F, --freeze-state=FILE
produce a frozen state on FILE at end

I don't know what it is. My m4 is of unknown version. --version, -version,
--v, -v, --help, -help, --h, -h, man m4, m4 don't produce any version
information and the binary of m4m contains only one occurence of the
'.' character in this context:
$%&'()*+,-./0123456789
It doesn't contain "freez" or "froz" in man m4.

CL<

looks like you need GNU m4. If anyone wants to contribute an autoconf test I'll be happy to add it. Looks like we should check to see if m4 accepts -F and if not error out with a message saying to install GNU m4.

I added a note to the INSTALL file.

-Dan

I installed GNU m4 1.4.4 from the OpenBSD package. It was installed under
/usr/local/bin/gm4. Then I renamed the BSD m4 in /usr/bin to bm4 and
the gm4 to m4 so
clock@kestrel:~/geda-gschem-20060123$ m4 --version
GNU M4 1.4.4

and still the same:
clock@kestrel:~/geda-gschem-20060123$ ./configure configure: error: cannot find sources (noweb/gschem.nw) in . or ..

Still the same? It seems you're trying to compile a completely different package and getting an entirelly different error that what you've reported above.

There should be no reason to do the renaming thing as long as gm4 is in your path. pcb looks for that first and you can always set M4=/usr/loca/bin/gm4 if you want to be certain that thats the one configure finds.

In terms of your problem building gschem, do you have the file ./noweb/gschem.nw? It sounds to me like you only have a partial set of files for gschem or perhaps you've moved the configure script out of its original place in the sources.

-Dan