Re: gEDA-user: uref <--> refdes

On Jul 18, 2009, at 8:51 AM, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:

> While I tried to locate the place where gnetlist collects
> attributes of
> objects I noticed frequent use of the term "uref". This is
> mentioned in
> the doc too. It seems to be related to the attribute "refdes". Is it
> exactly synonym, or are there subtle differences? What are the reasons
> for the two terms?

I believe uref is a fossil, a remnant of an early version.

> At the end of gnetlist.scm this snippet of code seems to imply,
> that an
> uref attribute merely produces a warning:
>
> /-----------------
>   (define (handle-uref value)
>     (simple-format (current-output-port)
>                    "WARNING: Found uref=~A" value)
>     (newline)
>     (simple-format (current-output-port)
>                    "uref= is deprecated, please use refdes=~A" value)
>     (newline)
>     value)
>
>   ; Actually find attribute: check refdes, then uref, then return #f.
>   (cond
>    ((attrib-first-value object "refdes") => (lambda (x) x))
>    ((attrib-first-value object "uref") => handle-uref)
> \-----------------
>
> Does this mean, that "uref" is completely overseeded by "refdes"?
> If so,
> wouldn't it be reasonable to search and replace all instances of
> "uref"
> in the code and in the docs by "refdes"?

That might break unpublished gnetlist back ends. How many of these
there are in service is a question (none of mine). I suppose "refdes"
functions could be wrapped in "uref" functions that issue a warning.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx