Re: gEDA-user: merge multi symbol components

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 08:23:40 -0400, John Doty wrote:

> I'm unhappy that you're putting another complex, opaque, inflexible
> mechanism into the gnetlist *front* end. Put hooks into the front
> end, yes, but leave the back end in control, with default behavior
> defined in gnetlist.scm.

Talk about opaqueness and complexity. With its lack of types,
declarations and explicit return values scheme is anything but
transparent to the casual hacker. Add to this the abundance of heavily
nested parenthesis and result is black-box magic to the uneducated eye.
By the way, in gnetlist.scm I find procedures commented only with:

;; this is really crude, but I'm tired... :)
(...)
;; ah.. wonder what use this is...
(...)
;; ha. I'm playing with scheme here.. don't mind me

> Keep gnetlist flexible for the future: don't stiffen it to

I don't "stiffen" anything.
gnetlist already considers symbols with the same refdes to represent the
same physical device. This is, of course, in accordance with the official
description of the meaning of redes in the master attribute list. What I
work on, is to make sure, that the result does not depend on invisible,
inaccessible subtleties like the order of symbols in the *.sch file. In
particular
Such quasi random behavior does not represent flexibility but a bug.

> make it work just in *your* scenario.

I am unhappy with you implying shortsightedness of about everybody on
this list, including me. This makes me feel hostile towards your
opinions.

> The front end code is rather difficult and opaque, as you've discovered.

Not where I am looking at.

> But the back ends, with just a tiny bit of Scheme knowledge, are pretty
> transparent.

So, you propose to work around a bug in the front-end by modification of
the majority, if not all back-ends.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak