Re: gEDA-user: PCB reacts different than discribed in tutorial

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 lynx.abraxas-KuiJ5kEpwI6ELgA04lAiVw wrote:

> When  drawing  lines  the  rat-lines  don't  vanish

rat lines are not always up to date. This is a trade off. You wouldn't
want the GUI to become sluggish because it constantly recalculates the
rats. Just press the [o] key to trigger recalculation of rats.
As an aside, with the speed of modern desktop computers, it wouldn't
hurt, if rats were optionally recalculated every second. Is this already
in the list of feature requests?

>  and the line tool
> behaves differently when clicking on a rat-line-point than it does else
> where. Is this ment to be?

Yes, this is deliberate. If you drag on the end point of a line, this
endpoint will move while the other will keep in place. The line will
expand and rotate as necessary. If you drag somewhere else on the the
line, it will move the line without bending and rotating. The mouse shape
will show which mode of line action is active on the current spot. The
change of mouse shapes is a fairly new feature. It was introduced about
half a year ago.

Did you discover the "rubber band" flag in the settings menu? This makes
the neighbor lines stick to the line you currently manipulate. This is
very useful as it preserves connections. Sadly, it doesn't behave as
expected, if very small tracks are involved.

> Also by keeping on reading I found the answers to my footprint
> questions;-)  I know: rtfm.
> It  seems the list for m4 elements is not up to date. And I am still
> wondering how newlib, pcblib and pcblib-newlib  differ.

> In  pcblib
> there  is  a  "805, chip_capacitor"  wich  seems  not to be the same as
> "Capacitor, smd chip 805". Why's that?

Lack of man power for the arduous task to keep the library concise and
consistent. Volunteer are welcome ;-)

> Also for creating new elements in PCB I am looking for  a  method  to
> prevent "snap to grid".

Why? After all, as long as the design is still a file in your computer,
positions are digital numbers. So there is always some kind of grid. Just
set the grid to some very tiny value to emulate a continuum.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
Universität Hannover, Inst. für Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211