gEDA-user: Assign polygon/rectangle to a net in PCB

I'm sure this is a horribly obvious question/answer to some, but the
documentation is simply not helpful to me in this regard.

I'm using the rectangle/polygon tool to create ground planes.  But I cannot
figure out how to assign that plane to the "GND" net or the "VCC" net or
whatever!  So of course PCB creates clearances for the polygon with every
pad it comes in contact with, including GND pads.  Not helpful.  The copper
pad is floating, not connected to any net, and I can't figure out how to
unfloat it even after reading pcb-tips and the main pcb documentation
page...  It is very descriptive on how to create a polygon, just not how to
use it!

In EAGLE it is easy, you just create the polygon, click "Name" and click the
polygon, and type the name of the net to assign the plane to, and
clearances/connections are handled automatically.  I do not see an
equivalent command here, so I'm more than a little confused.

Best regards,

James Johnston