Re: gEDA-user: gEDA, where are the loadable examples?

On Sunday 13 March 2005 13:20, Jean-Francois Blavier wrote:
>Gene,
>
>> First, total noob to gEDA.
>
>I'm just slightly ahead of you here...  I'll see if I can answer
>some of your questions.
>
>> The subject says it all I think.  I've run gerbv and gEDA now, and
>> cannot find any loadable examples.  Are there some?
>
>If you installed "geda-examples-20041228.tar.gz" there are several
>examples in there (gTAG, lightning_detector, ...)

I found that just now, it was left in the geda-sources dir, under the
gedagaf subdir.

>> Opening up firefox and finding the html docs, I have arrived
>> at that page of the gschem totorial where there are some
>> sample commands to check the install.
>>
>> That link is:
>> <file:///opt/geda-install/share/doc/geda-doc/gschem/node5.html>
>> and these 4 commands are to be issued:
>>         libgeda-config --version
>> bash: libgeda-config: command not found
>>
>>         gesym-config --version
>> bash: gesym-config: command not found
>
>This part of the documentation is obsolete.  Your installation is
>likely okay.
>
>> Also, in grepping for the chip building blocks I'd need, none of
>> the 3 main chips '82c55', 'L298' or 'L297' I need seem to be
>> present.
>
>That's simply because none of the existing gEDA users have had a
> need for these symbols.  What I do in this case if find a symbol
> that is close to the one I need and modify it.

Possible, but the 8255 family is almost a cpu in it own right, so I
doubt there is anything useable other than its 40 pin 600 mill dip
packageing.  And 24 of those 40 pins can input, or output, depending
on how its mode register is programmed.  One would have to write 16
variations of it and use the one corresponding to the mode byte.
That, as they say, makes the cheese a bit more binding.

The l297 and L298 should be a bit simpler although I haven't studied
the L297 that much yet, none of them on site.  The L298's I have,
have a current limiter circuit thats supposed to switch at about
40khz, and its running in analog mode, cooking the driver chip pretty
badly.  Its a futurlec SMCC-2 card, intended to be use one per
stepper motor & I have a 4 pack of them and motors that should be
able to do the job on a micromill being run by emc.

I don't have to have the 82c55, but if I did, I could maybe do two
boards and let ngspice do some optimizing.  I just hope I don't have
to build a 40 room mansion in files here to get to where I can make
real progress correcting what must be a badly done design.

How is ngspice at simulating analogue circuitry thats supposed to be
running in pwm mode?

>> Are these downloadable from someplace, or do I need to write
>> first, the logic block descriptions etc for them?  And if
>> I do write them, where can I upload them to share with
>> other potential users.
>
>http://www.geda.seul.org/tools/symbols/contrib.html
>
>> Thats enough dumb questions for one day I think.
>
>The only dumb question is the un-asked one   ;)

>Cheers,
>
>Jean-Francois

Thanks, now if I can get tvtime back among the living here, with
kernel 2.6.11.3.  Its being picky with my new pcHDTV-3000 tuner card.
So I'm doing seriel kernel builds trying to find the magic twanger.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)