gEDA-user: Configuring layer colors and "route style" in PCB

I hope this is the right mailing list to post two newbie questions:

I worked me through the tutorial and wanted to make a file element in PCB. Thereto I clicked on the "Route Style" button and wanted to change the size of "Via hole" to "40". But I just can't make it bigger than "36".
I tried a little around and found out that the maximum sizes depend on which "Route style" (Signal, Power, Fat...) I choose before clicking "Route style". Is this "normal", and if not, how can I change this?

And the second "problem": When I was browsing through the internet, searching for a answer on my first question, I saw images of PCB where the layer buttons on the left side are colored. Mine are all grey.
In the "Preferences" menu I can set the different layers, but they are set right.

I made a screenshot of my PCB window: http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/2643/pcbproblems7qq.png

greetings, Stefan.
Sorry for bad english :-)