Re: gEDA-user: pcb HID has been merged!

Didn't configure complain that gd was missing along with explicit instructions on how to get it?

did you see something like this?

[snip]

checking for gdlib-config... /usr/pkg/bin/gdlib-config
checking for libgd cflags... -I/usr/pkg/include
checking for libgd libs... -L/usr/pkg/lib -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/pkg/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXpm -lX11 -ljpeg -lfo

[snip]

If that didn't fail, then it seems your gd install is broken.

You can also build without the png HID.

I'd rather _not_ include 3rd party libs directly because what happens is
invariably there is some problem on some platform.  I'm not speaking
directly about gd here, but generically.  So when you look at NetBSD's
pkgsrc, you'll find it includes patches for various libraries.  The same
is almost certainly true for all of the other packaging sytems.  So it
can actually be a barrier to include the 3rd party libs.  In otherwords
when libfoo included in the pcb distfile fails to build, it becomes a
pcb problem directly.

The only way I'd consider it is as an explicitly requested fallback.  By
this I mean that it would _never_ use the included libfoo unless
requested via --with-included-libfoo or something.

Stuart Brorson wrote:
Ya gotta download and build gd, which is some sort of graphics
library. Get it here:

http://www.boutell.com/gd/

BTW: For the PCB developers -- please pardon my apparent
curlishness. I don't mean to be a jerk, and I appreciate everything
you do. However, I wonder if there is a way to incorporate the gd
stuff directly into pcb, instead of requiring it as a dependency?

When I build your new
PCB stuff into the gEDA installer, gd will become another dependency
which will cause grief amongst newbies and those who refuse to RTFM.

Just a friendly thought . . . .

Stuart

I can't successfully build the CVS version of PCB HID. The compile dies complaining that:

hid/png/png.c:48:16: error: gd.h: No such file or directory

I running Suse 10 and the CVS download that I'm attempting to compile I downloaded
this morning (March 24th). Oh yeah - After running autogen, I ran configure just to
be sure.

Best

Marvin