From: Steve Morss <smorss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 1, 2007 11:45:03 AM
Subject: Re: gEDA-user: Is the OrCAD Library Active?

You might want to take a look at Perl as well.  It's been around the
longest, and one of its primary goals was to do good text parsing (it
has built in pattern matching and replacement).  Ruby was actually
written by a Perl affectionado, and has many of Perl's  text handling
attributes.  Perl also has a huge library (CPAN) of available addon
functions, and has lots of people who know how to write in it.

Steve

> Arthur Baldwin wrote:
>> Dear Patrick,
>>
>> Thanks for the update.  There is a project labeled "olib" which
>> stands for "OrCAD Library" and which is already part of the gEDA
>> project.  The problem with that "side project" is that it was
>> designed for OrCAD version 4.0 (fairly old version).  And the author
>> says that there are several bugs in it.  In my current study of Ruby,
>> it seems like that language is well suited to parsing the native
>> files of OrCAD (which by the way are ALL plain text files).  The key
>> to making olib complete is to choose a language whose strength is
>> searching text and grouping the results of that text search into C++
>> based objects.  The objects can then be manipulated to fit the object
>> "model" of gEDA.  Both Python and Ruby are fairly new to me, so I'm
>> really "expert" in neither.  But it is important to me to help
>> develop a good solution to this problem.  I can't see the point in
>> spending 10K USD "per seat" for the latest version of OrCAD and then
>> having to deal with the "dongle" on the parallel port....just to
>> print out the schematic for an existing OrCAD project.  Especially
>> when every single data file in OrCAD is plain ordinary text with a
>> structure similar to AutoCAD drawing files.  There's no need to
>> "export" from OrCAD into an "intermediate format" before conversion
>> to gEDA...because of the fact that OrCAD uses plain text for all
>> data.  What will eat up our development time is figuring out what
>> current "structure methodology" is used inside the OrCAD data files
>> and then designing a parser to work with that structure.  Ideally we
>> should understand the structure well enough to be able to fix
>> "corrupted" OrCAD data files during conversion.
>>
>> I'm looking forward to the day when users of gEDA will feel totally
>> comfortable with converting in either direction...even with complex
>> projects.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Arthur

The fish are biting.