Re: gEDA-user: ERP Systems

On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 20:56 -0500, Bob Paddock wrote:
> A couple of people had asked what Open Source ERP Systems
> where around.  http://freshmeat.net list 48 of them.
> SourceForge has many others.
>
> I had played the most with http://www.compiere.org/ but found it
> to be week in the area that I was most interested in, material management.
>
> Linux support for Compiere came from the Fyracle project,
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fyracle , based on the
> FireBird database, however, from the Fyracle news server:
>
> "As most of you probably noticed, Compiere Inc. became ever more reluctant to accept input from its community.
>  A number of active Compiere users have started Adempiere,
>  with the intent to create a true community around the code base."
>
> http://www.adempiere.com/  "Source Developers that contribute improvements of Compiere,
> CRM, Shopfloor, POS, Helpdesk, Financials Accounting, Supply Chain, Knowledge
> and Business apps in an open and unabated fashion. "
>
> Most of the ERP systems do the easy stuff like Accounting, or the visible
> stuff line "Web front ends", like that is a big deal these days.
>
> What I'm look for is "The supply chain approach models stochastic events influencing
> a manufacturing organization's shipment and inventory performance in the same way
> that a mechanical engineer models tolerance buildup in a new product design.
> The objectives are to minimize on-hand inventory and optimize supplier response times."
>
> With the gory math to support that here:
> http://www.unusualresearch.com/supplychain/supplychain.htm
>
> In a simplified form something that has some clue of shop floor scheduling,
> and inventory management.  Right now I'm looking at http://tinyerp.org/ but
> still have several more to look at.  If I every decide on one, I'll let the list know.
> If you know of any that don't show up on Freshmeat or SourceForge let me know,
> please.  In the end maybe I'll just write my own in MUMPS....

I wrote a framework for Business Process Software, called
phpOrganisation. One of the things I do with this is accounting for my
own business, but it has potential as a base to build this sort of
system. It currently looks like an accounting system, but it's really "a
web application with a good contacts database system which can be a
springboard for any business process application".

Just thought you might be interested in having a look at the project. It
has been quiet for the last year - it would be great to re-vitalise it.

Seb James
--
http://www.phporg.net    phpOrganisation
http://www.esfnet.co.uk  Embedded Software Foundry