Re: gEDA-user: What's your way of syncing CPLD design and gschem symbols???

At last night's Freedog meeting, I presented a method I've been using to generate schematic symbols from an FPGA pin file. I think it was well received, so I'll try to explain it here. I've been using nn Altera pin file and generating trage files. Every time I change pins around on the FPGA (which happens to improve timing and layout routability), I just run a Makefile. It runs the script to create new trage files and then tragesym, and new symbols appear that replace my old ones. They fit just like my old symbols into the schematic, so I can run gnetlist and my pcb layout file can be updated.

I'll list a script to show how the process works, but first a couple of notes. There's a small (Perl) routine called load_altera_pinout() that parses and loads an Altera pin file. It's straightforward to write a similar routine called load_xilinx_pinout() for xilinx users. There's another routine called write_djboxsym() that writes out djboxsym files. It works, but for BGA's, djboxsym needs to be updated, since it was written for numeric pins only (DJ and I talked about this last night and he thought there might even be a xxboxsym version out there that worked for BGA pins). For the design I've been working on, I've been writing trage files using a routine called write_trage(). It works for tragesym 0.8 (what I've been using). The newer tragesym versions handle _'s differently, but the changes are pretty easy to handle (I prefer the old tragesym, because, as far as I can tell, it does bars over inverted pin names and the newer versions do not). Here's a script showing how symbol generation works.

# FPGA to djboxsym source file.

# Symbols are for an Altera Cyclone II FPGA

#load in the FPGA pinout file load_altera_pinout("fpga.pin")

# load in headers (and footers)
load_header("fpga.djheader")

# set a reference number
set_sym("refdes","U100")

# ignore any uncessary pins
#ignore_pins({"GND+",*})

#rename badly named pins
set_pinname("RESERVED_INPUT", {"RESERVED_INPUT",*})

# better define poorly defined pins
# for loc, t=top, b=bottom, l=left, r=right)
set_pintype("in", {"GND+"})
set_pinloc("l", {"GND+"})
set_pintype("in", {"RESERVED_INPUT"})
set_pinloc("l", {"RESERVED_INPUT"})
set_pintype("in",{"nCE"})
set_pinloc("l",{"nCE"})
set_pintype("in", {"MSEL",*})
set_pinloc("l", {"MSEL",*})
set_pintype("out", {"CONF_DONE"})
set_pinloc("r", {"CONF_DONE"})
set_pintype("io",{"nCONFIG"})
set_pinloc("r",{"nCONFIG"})
set_pintype("io",{"nSTATUS"})
set_pinloc("r",{"nSTATUS"})
# serial prom interface
set_pintype("out", {"DCLK"})
set_pinloc("r", {"DCLK"})
set_pintype("out",{"~ASDO~"})
set_pinloc("r",{"~ASDO~"})
set_pintype("out",{"~nCSO~"})
set_pinloc("r",{"~nCSO~"})

# define the file prefix define("prefix") prefix = "fpga"

# and generate djboxsym files

select_pins({"GND"}, {"GND", *, "PLL", *}, {"VCC",*} )
write_djboxsym("fpga_pwr", concat(prefix, "_pwr.djboxsym"))

# ssram interface
select_pins({*, "ssram", *})
write_djboxsym("fpga_ssram", concat(prefix, "_ssram.djboxsym"))

# ddr interface
select_pins({*, "ddr", *})
write_djboxsym("fpga_ddr", concat(prefix, "_ddr.djboxsym"))

# FPGA configuration sections
select_pins({"MSEL",*},\                # mode
           {"CONF_DONE"},{"nCONFIG"},{"nSTATUS"},\    # status and control
           {"nCE"},{*,"nCEO~",*},\            # chaining
           {"DCLK"},{"DATA0"},{"~ASDO~"},{"~nCSO~"})    # serial PROM
write_djboxsym("fpga_config", concat(prefix, "_config.djboxsym"))

select_pins({"altera_reserved",*})
write_djboxsym("fpga_jtag", concat(prefix, "_jtag.djboxsym"))

select_pins({"RESERVED", *},{"GND+"}, {"GND*"},{"usb_data",?,?,?,?,"tick"} )
write_djboxsym("fpga_unused", concat(prefix, "_unused.djboxsym"))

# sweep up remaining pins select_pins({*}) write_djboxsym("fpga_misc", concat(prefix, "_misc.djboxsym"))

The header and Altera pinout files are attached. I've got a program for running this script that works, but I thought I'd show the script right away so people could see it. Before releasing the program, I need to pretty up some of the headings, etc.

Steve

Stuart Brorson wrote:
Actually, one thing I have dreamed about is incorporating a method
into gnetlist to read a .ucf (Xilinx) or .pin (Altera) file to get
pin-outs for a large FPGA. Then, you'd just stick a big box (or bunch
of boxes) onto your schematic representing the device. The box would
have a bunch of named pins, but no pin nos. You'd wire nets to the
pins as usual. Then you'd stick somethign like a .include directive onto the same page. The .include directive would
point to the .pin file, and be bound somehow to the big FPGA box
(maybe by sharing refdes). Then, gnetlist would find the .include, open
the corresponding .pin file, and use it to stick the device's pins
into teh output netlist.

This scheme makes design easy, but is bad for service, since the pins
are not annotated onto teh schematic.  It would require the service
guy to have a set of schematics and printouts of the .pin files to
work from.  Maybe not such a big deal.....

FWIW, Steve -- one of the Free Doggers here in Boston -- will talk
about his FPGA flow at our gathering tonight.  I anticipate he will
have some interesting ideas about how to handle the pin issue.

Stuart