RE: gEDA-user: Some footprints I tried to create

XML is fine until you have to move a lot of data over a relatively small
pipe (T-1 or less) or repeatedly read files.  The data overhead is huge, and
it takes a lot of cpu time to parse out compared to a simpler text format.

We tried XML for a recent project that required moving a lot of data over a
WAN, but the overhead for both bandwidth was killing us:  The data payload
was about 50 bytes, but the smallest we could get the XML data was about 750
bytes, so we had a factor of about 15x in wasted bandwidth.  Switching to a
simple HTTP post transfer meant our total data transfer was about 125 bytes
for that same 50 bytes of data, giving us about a 5x gain over the XML
version, which meant we didn't have to spring for a lot bigger network pipe.
The cpu load for parsing out the data dropped by a factor of about 7 - 10x
as well.

Dave