Re: XML file formats .... was: Re: gEDA-user: Some footprints I tried to create

On 3/14/07, Dave McGuire <mcguire@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
   This is a very real point, and one that I can speak to from
experience.  A few years ago, I converted a big-ish commercial

A bit of experience on my end when I was working for Hifn -- we were in need of an extensible configuration file format, and XML was an option. However, I ended up implementing a flat, lexer-only solution, which of course is possible only with reverse polish notation. So, if you need a *small*, truely extensible (trivial, even), and easy to write parser, that doesn't require even more complexities like bison/yacc (not all platforms have them), then you might want to consider the RPN option as well. This is one of the reasons why Postscript is RPN (Postscript printers, while they often had megabytes and megabytes of RAM, rarely used a significant fraction of it for anything except bitmap and font data. Hence, Postscript was ideal because it minimized resource consumption).

Just throwing out ideas.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II