Re: gEDA-user: Using polygons for creating a ground plane by hand

Well, technically the almost all  the vias are going to have something soldered into them: I had to create all of the elements for the PCB by hand, and instead of creating "real" elements I just drew outlines in the silk layer and placed vias where pins will go. The documentation says this is a bad idea, but I can't figure out why: you use vias to create elements, right? So why can't you just place vias? They "look" ok in the PCB and the print ok as well...perhaps I'm missing something?

The documentation says that the vias will be covered (except for the hole) by the solder mask, but isn't that something only used in manufacturing? I'm pretty sure my board will print out OK if I'd like to make it at home, but if I send it to a manufacturer, they'll be using a solder mask, right? This is still very confusing: for instance, why does the solder mask not show traces? Now I'm really lost. I'm starting to think perhaps that I used the "wrong" layers.

p.s. F10 just brings up the File menu in my version of PCB, I'll check about thermal reliefs in the documentation