Re: gEDA-user: Some Linux distros to consider

Friends -

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 05:01:44AM +0000, ST de Feber wrote:
> To:geda-user@xxxxxxxx
> >>First I tried Slackware 11.0.  [chop]
>
> [ST : I am using slackware 10.2 with Freerock Gnome.
> Works great !

I don't really want to fan distro wars.  Sigh.

Debian.

Over the course of 14 years (!), I have used SLS, Slackware,
RedHat, Debian, and Ubuntu.  I recently donated a Red Hat 2.1
CD and Manual to a local computer shop that has a mini-museum
of vintage software.

Ubuntu is nice, especially if you stay in its main repository.
If you actually use its universe repository, you'll find it's
not as robust as the Debian from which it actually originated.

I started using Debian when I tired of RedHat.  My main knowledge
of Debian at the time was that when I found bugs in software, and
went looking for fixes and/or the source of the latest stable version,
the most productive place to search was in the Debian archive.  It took
a while to get comfortable with the Debian infrastructure, after years
of using RedHat.  But I consider Debian the last distro I will have
to learn.  It's serious about being a "universal" operating system.

There is a story, I think true, of a keynote address by a RedHat
C?O a few years ago.  He seemed to think that there were "too many"
Linux distributions, and that the industry was due for a shakeout.
In a few years, he predicted, there would only be two main Linux
distributions.  A hand in the first row shot up.  The audience
member had a question.  "Debian, and who else?"

Thanks to Hamish Moffatt, in Debian sid, it works to say
  "apt-get install geda verilog xcircuit pcb"
That gets you versions:
  geda:  20060123-1
  verilog:  0.8-4.2
  xcircuit:  3.6.78.dfsg-1
  pcb:  20060822-1
Furthermore, that same step works no matter whether you are on
x86, sparc, alpha, powerpc, arm, mips, hppa, s390, or amd64.

Sorry for the long soapbox episode.  You know how it goes.

    - Larry