Re: gEDA-user: Some Linux distros to consider

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 20:15 -0700, Jason Elder wrote:
> I'm pretty sure gEDA will work well with any distro out there.  My
> goal here was to find one that I can download, burn, install, have the
> latest version of firefox and openoffice, and then install gEDA with
> minimum hassle.  Also, I've been following some of the distros on
> distrowatch.com and I think many new distro updates will have the
> latest version of firefox and openoffice.  I just wanted to get up and
> running with gEDA.

Latest Ubuntu beta version - Feisty. (I'm using it, and it works
nicely.. as its beta, package updates are pretty regular, although - not
as much as Gentoo (on my other box).

http://www.ubuntu.com/news/Ubuntu704Beta

Firefox 2.0.0.3
OpenOffice 2.2
geda suite: 20061020 (But I don't use this - I compile from CVS, its
easy - once you apt-get install the right -dev packages)

If you like that kind of thing, Ubuntu tends to "just work" out of the
box, and even has those desktop effects you speak of.

I use OpenSUSE on a machine at work, and am not a big fan. In some
respects it is nice though.

Regards,

Peter C