Re: gEDA-user: copyright on schematics, PCBs etc.

It depends on what country you live in, but in the US (from
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#wci):

Copyright is a form of protection provided by the laws of the United States
(title 17, U.S. Code) to the authors of "original works of authorship,"
including literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain other
intellectual works. This protection is available to both published and
unpublished works. Section 106 of the 1976 Copyright Act generally gives the
owner of copyright the exclusive right to do and to authorize others to do
the following:

To reproduce the work in copies or phonorecords;

To prepare derivative works based upon the work;