Re: gEDA-user: xinstall help

> Hello,
> 	I am using Fedora Core 3 and I could not get xinstall to work.  The
> errors are listed below.  Has anybody run into similar errors.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kevin G. Erdmann

Two suggestions:

1.  Download all the tarballs and run the installation locally.  I
usually use "make install" beause "make xinstall" is kind of buggy in
my experience.  To give credit where it is due, I have also heard that
it is better these days than it used to be.  OTOH, it has apparently
failed for you. . . .

If you go this route, make sure you edit the top level Makefile before
installing to point to the place you want to put your binaries.
(i.e. set the prefix=foo variable in the Makefile.)

2.  If you want a GUI-based installer, download my gEDA distribution
.iso from:

http://www.brorson.com/gEDA/

(It's the last item at the bottom of the page.)  Burn the .iso onto a
CD, stick the CD into your computer's CD drive, and then follow the
instructions presented by the intall wizard.  (If it doesn't
automagically start up, mount the CD and read the README to get the
wizard going.)

The .iso holds the gEDA/gaf stuff, ngspice, gnucap, gwave, PCB,
gerbview, Icarus Verilog, and GTKWave.  It is bundled with a
GUI-based install wizard which automates the build of the
tools and guides you through the installation process.  It also takes
care of many dependencies, such as guile, TCL, readline, and so on.

I have tested it on RedHat 9 Workstation (not Personal), Fedora
Core 1 & 2, and SuSE 9.1 Pro, so it should work on FC 3, as long as
you have a reasonably complete installation (i.e. install as
"workstation", or install the usual developer tools & header files).
It's also written to be self-contained and fault-tolerant, so the
install process should be robust & work on many configurations.

If you want a CD gEDA distribution with a nice label for use in a
commercial environment, contact me off list and we can discuss the
details.  My e-mail addr is sdb (AT) cloud9 (DOT) net.

Good luck, and if you use the CD installer, please let us know how it
goes.  I am interested in bug reports as well as success stories.

Stuart