Re: gEDA-user: 2 make errors installing gwave

Robert Butts wrote:
> There is an executable in /usr/local/bin named guile.  There is a
> usr/local/share/guile/1.6 directory.  There are two directories named
> 1.6 and 1.8 in usr/share/guile.  So I guess I'm not sure where it was
> installed and I'd rather not guess.  Other than searching for guile
> files how can I tell where they are installed?

I don't know how the package manager for your distribution of linux
works.  I'm not a linux user myself.  That said, it is moderately common
for linux to install binaries in /usr/bin

> If they are installed in the same place but with different names,
> /usr/local/bin/guile and /usr/local/bin/guile16 for example, then you
> need to edit that build.. script and change the call at the top from
> guile to guile16.
>
> If you couldn't tell already, I am new to Linux so this is somewhat
> vague to me.  In this example what type of file would guile and guile16
> be scheme, executable...?  When you say build.. script, do you mean the
> gwave configure script?  Could you give me just a little more detail?
> Thanks!

When you ran the gwave configure script, it tried to find out the
appropriate flags to give the c compiler when compiling a program that
makes use of guile-gtk.  It (the configure script) does this by running:

build-guile-gtk cflags

The "build-guile-gtk" script has a bunch of settings stored in it and
you can retrieve them like in that command above.  It is this command
which failed when you ran configure.

Here's what I suggest.

1)  figure out where the build-guile-gtk script lives by doing

which build-guile-gtk

or

where build-guile-gtk

mcmahill@mudshark 106 % which build-guile-gtk
/usr/pkg/bin/build-guile-gtk

If you use a text viewer like "more" or "less" to take a look at the
beginning of that file you'll see something like this:

#! /bin/sh
# -*- scheme -*-
exec guile -s $0 $*
!#

[rest of file removed]

The first line:

#!/bin/sh

says to execute the binary program /bin/sh and give it
/usr/pkg/bin/build-guile-gtk as an argument.  In other words, this file
starts looking like a shell script.  2 lines down we see

exec guile -s $0 $*

That causes the program 'guile' (a binary executible) to be run with the
arguments "-s /usr/pkg/bin/build-guile-gtk <rest of the original
arguments>".

The shell will look in your search path (PATH or path variable depending
on your shell) to find an executible called guile.  My guess is that you
in fact do not want the guile which appears first in your search path.

so, now figure out which guile is in your search path:

which guile
where guile

you might also do this

find /usr -name guile\* -print
find /usr/local -name guile\* -print

to find all files which start with the name "guile".

On one of my systems I have both /usr/pkg/bin/guile (version 1.8) and
/usr/pkg/guile/1.6/bin/guile (old version 1.6).  You can check the
version by running:

guile --version

so for build-guile-gtk to work for me I needed to do:

env PATH=/usr/pkg/guile/1.6/bin:${PATH} build-guile-gtk cflags

to make sure the correct guile is found.

Once you're able to get an output from that command which looks more like:

-I/usr/pkg/include -I/usr/pkg/include/gtk-1.2
-I/usr/pkg/include/glib/glib-1.2 -I/usr/pkg/lib/glib/include
-I/usr/openwin/include

than

Backtrace:
In /usr/pkg/bin/build-guile-gtk:
  105:  0* (define-module (build-guile-gtk) #{:use-module}# ...)
  105:  1  (eval-case (# #) (else #))
In unknown file:
    ?:  2  (let ((m (process-define-module #))) (set-current-module m) m)

you'll be far along.

What would be good of course is if the packaging system you use already
had gwave.