Re: gEDA-user: Design changs required to mill PCBs?

On Oct 2, 2006, at 9:29 PM, Dave N6NZ wrote:
What I always wonder about with these tools, or similar X/Y machines is why
no one ever optimizes the travel to save time. Seems like it should be simple
mater of sorting the vectors? Instead the machine goes at random from
place to place.
Probably not so simple. Especially if you use the word "optimal" in a literal sense. I think you end up with a combinatorial search space. OTOH, sub-optimal but "better" could probably be achieved with a simple-minded greedy algorithm.

What constitutes "sorted" in a two-dimensional space is an issue, but a tremendous gain can be had simply by sorting by one axis.

               -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Cape Coral, FL