Re: gEDA-user: PCB: Rotate in steps of 30 and 45 degree?

Florian Steiper wrote:
DJ Delorie wrote:

Has anyone thought about doing a footprint rotating utility?

The problem isn't rotating the footprint, it's that nothing in pcb expects pads to be other than orthogonal. For example, the gerber exporter can't plot angled lines with square corners, it would have to draw them as filled polygons. The autorouter doesn't know about them either, nor does the optimizer.

The other problem is, of course, loss of precision. You end up
off-grid when you rotate back to zero.

would this work if you would add a field that defines the angle of the
part in the file format, so that the part is always stored at 0° but can
be rotated to any value just by specifying a different angle ?

this would lead to a file format change though.....

I would like to see that change even though it is a file format change.

There are other reasons too. Makes updating footprints on an existing board easier (I think) and makes it possible to always extract what the rotation is.

-Dan