Re: gEDA-user: Trouble with CONN_USB

Olof,

you'll generally want symbols that match your footprints. the symbols may be very specific, or very generic. In any event, you want the pins on the symbol to coincide with the pins on the footprints. pin 1 needs to match up with pin 1.

The symbols only need two attributes to go from gschem to pcb using gsch2pcb: refdes= and footprint=.

you can use gattrib to quickly add footprints to the elements in your layout before running gsch2pcb.

you can see the script on Luciani's website to see how to force gsch2pcb to find a specific directory of footprints.

As for symbols, you can probably get what you need from the geda library included with the program. you WILL have to check the pin-numbering though. As a default each pin in a symbol should have:

pinnumber=#
pinseq=#
pinlabel=#
pintype=<value>

usually pinnumber, pinseq, and pinlabel can all be the same, i.e. "1" for pin one on a chip or capacitor.

hope this helps. there is file called the 'master attribute document' that's easy to find.

the gsch2pcb system seems really slow at first, but it will save you TONS of time down the road.

Phil

Olof Tångrot wrote:
Thanks John, but how do I make these land patterns integrate with symbols I create in gschem? And how do I make gsch2pcb recognize them when I want to create a netlist?

Olof

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Luciani" <jluciani@xxxxxxxxx>