Re: gEDA-user: bending design rules for TSSOP20 -- need advice

Dave,

PCBExpress requirement of a clearence around the pads of at least 8
mills meets the IPC specifications for silk screened soldermask.

For the geometry of the TSSOP-20 with a lead pitch of 26 mills and lead
widths of 10 Mills your soldermask width between pads would be zero. As
you stated.

If you are going to use a shop that only does a silk screened soldermask
then I suggest you use a gang clearence around the group of pads and
risk the solder shorting the pads.

However, switching to a photo imageable soldermask process reduces the
solder mask clearence down to 3 to 5 mills. This would leave a
soldermask bridge between pads of at least 6 Mills. I, don't see
pcbexpress suporting this process though. You probably should contact
them. I have had problems in the past with gang soldermask clearences.
It puts a lot more preassure on the assembly process.

The reference document I am using is IPC-SM-782A "Surface Mount Design
and Land Pattern Standard"

Steve Meier