Re: gEDA-user: PCB footprints

> When you want a hole that has no electrical connection -- it is just
> for locating projections of plastic molded connectors for instance,
> is it OK for the pin made from that via to have no number?  Or does
> it need to have a number, but one that is not in the netlist?

I name those "M1" through "M9" for "Mounting pin".

> For reusing footprints made in the old format where a mil is
> smallest unit is there a script to convert them?

No need.  PCB supports both formats.  It's better to leave them in the
old format unless you're going to *fix* the positions.  For example,
metric connectors in the old format are off by a small but noticeable
amount.  Converting those lies to people about how accurate they are;
they're still off but now they're off by more than "1".  Better to
recreate them on a high-res metric grid so that they're more accurate,
not just more precise.