Re: gEDA-user: Orcad binary file format

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Patrick Doyle wrote:

On 10/27/06, Patrick Doyle <wpdster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Friends,

Does anybody on this list know where I could learn the binary file
format of Orcad schematic files?  Ultimately, I would like to create a
set of tools to convert back and forth between gschem and Orcad
designs.  (Ideally, somebody has already done this, and I don't have
to).  I've looked a little at olib, but it presumes an older format.

--wpd

I just noticed that Orcad (10.5 is what I'm running, which I should
have mentioned previously) has an "export to EDIF" option.  Suppose I
were to export my design to EDIF, import it into gschem, play with it
there, and reverse the process...

Does an EDIF<->gschem translator exist?
Would it be ridiculous to write one?  (Anybody can step in here and
say, "Well, you could write one, but you would never get the library
interface to Orcad to work because they don't document the frozbazz
interface and that is absolutely required", etc...)
Would this be of use to anybody else in the universe?
Any other thoughts?

The problem is that EDIF is just a netlist format, and doesn't hold info about the actual component's symbol (like is it a box, triangle, where are the pins, etc). As such, any schematic you create from it would be confusing at best.

Stuart