Re: gEDA-user: PCB paste layer, revisited.

The paste layer is built from the pad layer directly, yes.  I use the
ps-bloat setting to offset my paste holes, or I post-process the files
to adjust long and short dimensions separately.

Search the archivies for "multipad" or "multi-pad".  I think I've
talked about adding a new datum for pins/pads that need "special
treatment."  The idea is to have a "heavy" pin/pad when you need
different copper/paste/mask on each layer (top, bottom, inner), and
use the old ones for when you don't.  The multi-pin would allow
arbitrary copper on each layer, too, so doing thermal pads should be
easy.

I haven't done any coding on it, just thinking about it.

The other thing I've talked about is adding true paste and anti-paste
layers, which I've started on by at least adding the layer type field,
although nothing uses it yet.