Re: gEDA-user: Driving the netlist from PCB (instead of gschem)

At 12:28 AM 10/1/2008, you wrote:
>Rick Collins wrote:
>   What IPC is doing can open the door
> > for a much greater degree of compatibility in EDA file formats and
> > program compatibility.  But this will happen only if the developers
> > want it to.
>
>You've painted a partial picture.
>
>Why would "What IPC is doing" open the door?  And is compatibility
>referring to FreePCB or what tool?  Zuken? Cadence?  Mentor? Fab
>software?  You have not said.

Compatibility refers to multiple tools.  You know, like...
compatibility.  Does that really need explanation?

IPC is creating an open standard for exchanging manufacturing
data.  If it is accepted, it will be a very useful new format.  Since
the largest tool vendors are on the committee that is creating the
standard, I don't see why it wouldn't be accepted in the end and
become a new industry standard.