Re: gEDA-user: I am having problems making and installing.

Kipton Moravec wrote:
> I have 1.4.0-20080127 installed.
>
> Installed it with synaptic manager with Ubuntu 8.04.
>
> I need to update convert_sym in the util package.
>
> I downloaded the latest version of convert_sym and made some changes. It
> will not let me compile because
>
> configure: error: libgeda detection error: Requested 'libgeda >=
> 20080929' but version of libgeda is 20080127
>
> So I decided to install 1.4.1.20080929
>
> 1. I downloaded all of the files into /home/backup/Work/gEDA
> 2. I checked and gtk+, guile, pkg-config, LibStroke are the right
> versions.
> 3. All of the files are untared.
> 4. The instructions say "Set the prefix= variable in the make file."
>
> I do not understand what that means.
> Do I have to edit the makefile in my /home/backup/Work/gEDA?
> Or is "prefix=" part of the command with an argument?
> and what should it be if I want to overwrite my existing 1.4.0 version.

Yes, that is the place to edit the variable.

In order to replace the installed version with the version you are
compiling, you will have to be root to install in the system shared
directories.  This is the trouble you ran into with the install step
complaining that it can't write.  You could try:

sudo make install

in the /home/backup/Work/gEDA directory.  This will prompt you for your
password, then it will be able to install in the system directories.  If
you do this, it will overwrite the installed version from the package
manager, and you may end up with trouble later, if you try to use
Synaptic package manager to delete it or a dependency.

It would be best to remove the gEDA package from the system entirely,
(to avoid library mismatches) and edit the prefix variable in the top
level Makefile to point to your home directory, where you have write
access.  This will isntall gEDA outside of the package management
system, and safely in your home directory.

You may need to set the path and the LD_LIBRARY_PATH as the makefile
instructs you.