Re: gEDA-user: Problems with gsch2pcb_tutorial

On Friday 24 October 2008 22:07:43 Kipton Moravec wrote:

> There is no "analog library" I finally found resistor-1.sym and
> dual-opamp-1.sym in the "Basic devices" library.
>
> There is no io library. I found output-2.sym in "Input/Output (Basic)"
> library. (This was not as hard to find as the first one.)
>
> There is no power library. It is called Power rails library.

The names in the tutorial are the names of the folders on disk. In v1.4, the
ability to give libraries "pretty" names was added, but the tutorial appears
not to have been updated.

You could have quickly and easily found the symbols required by typing their
names into the filter box at the bottom of the treeview.

> [stuff]

It should be possible to manipulate all symbols the same way. It sounds like
you've inserted the symbols as their separate graphical elements -- this will
cause problems later if you don't correct it.

In the "Select Component..." dialog box, look at the drop down menu at the
bottom. It should be set to "Default behavior - reference component".

> I can not figure out what this is supposed to accomplish. I see no
> difference with [e - shift-L] and [el]. I do not think it is working for
> me.

You won't *see* any difference. The only difference will be whether you can
unlock in or not. To demonstrate this:

1. Create a new schematic ('f n').

2. Try to select the titleblock by clicking on it. You won't be able to.

3. Select the titleblock by dragging a box over it. This should work.

4. With it selected, unlock it (Edit->Unlock, or 'e L').

5. Deselect it by clicking anywhere outside it.

6. Try to select the titleblock by clicking on it. It should now work.

HTH,

                                            Peter

--
Peter Brett