gEDA-user: *FIXED* Re: error when building gEDA/gaf 1.4.1.20080929 on FreeBSD

Jon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm attempting to build the latest stable version of geda on FreeBSD
> 7.0.  I followed the steps listed in the README (setting the environment
> variables) and tried make install, but I get the following error message
> early in the process:
>
> ( cd libgeda-1.4.1; make install )
> Making install in data
> make: don't know how to make x-geda-gsch2pcb-project.desktop. Stop
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/home/jon/geda-sources/libgeda-1.4.1.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/home/jon/geda-sources.
>

> I didn't see anything related to this in the mail archives.  I tried
> adding the --disable-update-mime-database and
> --disable-update-desktop-database configure opts in the Makefile, but
> that didn't help.

I seem to have found and resolved the issue.  The default FreeBSD make
did not work with the source distribution.  Instead, I had to use gnu
make (gmake) to build the code.  I also had to change the shell in the
icon-theme-installer scripts in geda-gschem, geda-gattrib, and the
libgeda directories to /usr/local/bin/bash (the default install location
for bash on FreeBSD).

Hopefully this information will prove useful for someone in the future.

Thanks,
jon