Re: gEDA-user: 2 newbie Qs

> Thanks super, D.J.

It's DJ, not D.J.

> but looking at it, the solder ring looks really skinny to me.  Are
> those reasonable values, and am I just an old thick guy?  What
> values would you use?

The problem here is also that the clearance between the pin copper is
only 7 mils, too small for most proto fabs.  If it were me, I'd bend
two of those pins out and stagger the holes so that there's more room
for copper.  Or, get the parts first, and measure the *actual* lead
size, and set the drill for that.

You can also overlay a pad on the pin to give you more copper to
solder to.

> And while I'm picking your brain, for a header with 2 mm (0.079 in)
> between pins, and pins that are 0.021 x 0.015 in, which I calculate
> out as a drill hole of 0.026 (I'll use 0.030 for a little variance,)
> the values I'm thinking of using for thickness, clearance and mask
> are 0.0545 in, 0.049 in and 0.079 in, e.g.

Looks good, and you can fit an 8 mil trace between pins.  If you don't
need to fit that trace, you could go with 62 mil copper (16 mil
annulus and 16 mil gap).