gEDA-user: silk exclusion (was [pcb] MinMaskGap action )

joeft wrote:

Phil,

You didn't mention whether this was "incidental" silkscreen like a "ElementLine" that overlapped the pad or something related to the pad itself.. A previous version of pcb would in some cases generate silkscreen rectangles in the gerber output on some surface mount pads. I was never able to figure out what combination(s) of features would cause this to happen, but it does appear to be fixed in the most recent revision of pcb. (You can and should look pretty carefully at your gerber output to make sure it is correct.)

Joe

Joe,

I'm referring to something I noticed on an early layout, where a refdes ended up on a pad and caused some reflow hassles.

I cleaned up all my footprints so there are no ElementLines on the pads, and put the refdes's in good locations, but on a tight board you usually just have to turn-off the refedes, when it barely clips the pad or mask openings. It'd be great if PCB would clip these things to guarantee clear pads.

Or another example is component-side part that has smts put under it. Sometimes the silkscreen ElementLines from the bigger part run across a pad, but you may not want to move that part for more serious reasons. You then have to hand edit your offending ElementLine in the offending part footprint, or live without. (Think of a daughtered module or other larger component modelled in PCB for mechanical design or assembly purposes.)

Phil