Re: gEDA-user: Linux's answer to SolidWorks

On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 07:54:56 +0800, Cullen Newsom wrote:

> I'm late on this one, but I didn't see anyone mention Brl-CAD brlcad.org
>  Brl-CAD does solid modeling.  I don't have any experience to share
> though.

I took a serious look at it before I settled for varicad. The application
had the most non-intuitive user interface. Progress with a simple trial
project was less than slow. Learning curve is steep. You have to be very
motivated to not grind to a halt. It can be used to produce serious
results as shown on its homepage. However, the conception of BRL CAD
precedes most contemporary CAD applications. This is a bit like ALGOL
which is still powerful. Still, in most cases ALGOL is a dubious choice
for new projects.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak