Re: gEDA-user: Problem breaking apart an element in the buffer

Am Sonntag, den 28.09.2008, 13:08 -0400 schrieb tj:
> In my continuing learning experience with creating/modifying  footprints
> I have run into the following problem. Using the inputs form several
> other users I created my first footprint, a 16 pin DIP with oval pads

Available from

http://www.luciani.org/geda/pcb/pcb-footprint-list.html

> (thanks to all). Then I wanted to create 8, 14, 18, etc pins footprints.
> I selected my 16 pin footprint into the buffer and selected the "break
> buffer elements to pieces" like the manual said. I ended up with my
> original vias (pins), component side lines (pads) and silk screen, but
> NO solder side lines (pads).

Using pcb for footprint creation is one way -- some people prefer to use
tools like footgen.py from gedasymbols or online tools, i.e. from DJ.

Basic footprint documentation is available from

 http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:pcb_footprints

and

http://brorson.com/gEDA/land_patterns_20070818.pdf
(still with a few minor typos :-)

> Why did the solder side disappear when
> executing the "break buffer elements to pieces" command?

No idea.