Re: gEDA-user: pcb, storing preferences bug

On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 19:47 +0200, Stefan Salewski wrote:
> pcb version 20080202 (GTK)
>
> Program writes preferences file (size of main window ...) to
> ~/.pcb/preferences when program is terminated by clicking on cross at
> right upper corner of window, but not if program is terminated by
> File/QuitProgram.
>
> Maybe this is an old/known/minor bug, but it was new and confusing to
> me.

Not sure how to fix this one. Since the HID asks the core to quit, and
the core just does a rather unfriendly exit(0), nothing gets saved. The
save only happens when the GUI quits (or perhaps - prompts to quit) as a
result of pushing the "X" button.

I thought it might be possible to move the config save handler from the
"delete" event handler (The WM's "X" button), to the destroy handler of
the window - but it looks rather like a progmatic shutdown will never
get to that handler - PCB just quits unceremoniously.

Catch all paths where the GUI asks the core to quit.

Add a HID function HID->quit, to do the final death - in the GTK case,
that would be by calling gtk_main_quit().

Install an atexit() handler. Seems a little low level for this
functionality though.

Can we override the "Quit" action as a GUI action - then call back into
the core's "Quit" action?

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,