gEDA-user: pcb, use thermals for plain, unsoldered vias?

In my last pcb I used vias with thermals to connect traces to ground
plane. Later I considered this as a minor bug of my own because thermals
makes no sense there.

I just started a new board and does this some mistake.

But it seems that DJ uses thermals too for his  4.3 SMT Blinker
tutorial.

Is there a reason for using thermals for plain vias, which need no
soldering? If filled connections are better, how can I do these.
Clicking left mouse button multiple times while holding shift key works,
but is some labor.

And a related question: When via tool is selected, auto pan is active. I
hate this -- when I move mouse-pointer to tools-menu inner of window
moves, which is not my intention. I can set panning speed to 1 (slow),
but not to zero. In the wiki I found the recommendation to press right
mouse button to switch of panning, but it seems not to work in pcb
20080202 with GTK GUI.

Best regards

Stefan Salewski