[gftp] gftp and VMS machines

Hi,
I was embarrassed by gftp. It has been impossible to make it work in Linux (Debian 3.0r1, gftp version 2.0.11 and 2.0.16) conneting to an alpha machine running VMS. Embarrasing because people using Windows 98 and ProFTP have no problems.

I disabled the -aL listing options, which is not liked by this old VMS ftp server version. I also disabled passive transfers. All these disabled options are part of the suggestions made in the FAQ.

When I login to the VMS machine the log says,

LIST
150 Opening data connection for $USER2:[FISSION.RXY103]*.*;* (xxx.xxx.xx.xx,32870)
Warning: Cannot parse listing
Warning: Cannot parse listing Directory $USER2:[FISSION.RXY103]
Warning: Cannot parse listing
Warning: Cannot parse listing TCPIP$FTP_SERVER.LOG;23

And no files appear in Windows 2. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ricardo Yanez
Department of Nuclear Physics
Research School of Physical Sciences & Engineering
Australian National University
Canberra, ACT 0200
Australia
office: +61 2 6125 2424