Re: [gftp] Issue with pre 2.0.17 version

Brian Masney wrote:
On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 04:48:46PM -0800, Phillip B Bruce wrote:

I have a problem FTP to any given site regardless
it being passive or active.

Any clues as to why this maybe happening.
Earlier versions of gftp didn't give me this problem.
The same issue for 2.0.16 version is the same way.

gFTP 2.0.17pre0, Copyright (C) 1998-2003 Brian Masney <masneyb@gftp.org>. If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about this program, please feel free to email them to me. You can always find out the latest news about gFTP from my website at http://www.gftp.org/
gFTP comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details, see the COPYING file. This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions; for details, see the COPYING file
Refresh: Not connected to a remote site
Looking up peggyshealth.com
Trying peggyshealth.com:5376
Cannot connect to peggyshealth.com: Connection refused
Connected to peggyshealth.com:5376
Disconnecting from site peggyshealth.com
Looking up ftp.freebsd.org
Trying ftp.freebsd.org:5376
Refresh: Not connected to a remote site
Cannot connect to ftp.freebsd.org: Connection refused
Connected to ftp.freebsd.org:5376
Disconnecting from site ftp.freebsd.org
Looking up ftp.redhat.com
Trying ftp.redhat.com:5376

You have 5376 in the port field, which is the wrong port to use for FTP. If you
leave the port field blank, and if you are using the FTP protocol, it will
default to port 21.

Brian

Brain,

BTW, I compiled this on:

cat /etc/release
Solaris 9 8/03 s9x_u4wos_08b x86
Copyright 2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Use is subject to license terms.
Assembled 17 June 2003

I don't know where 5376 is getting defined. My /etc/service file looks like this:

$ more /etc/services
#ident "@(#)services 1.32 01/11/21 SMI"
#
#
# Copyright (c) 1999-2001 by Sun Microsystems, Inc.
# All rights reserved.
#
# Network services, Internet style
#
tcpmux 1/tcp
echo 7/tcp
echo 7/udp
discard 9/tcp sink null
discard 9/udp sink null
systat 11/tcp users
daytime 13/tcp
daytime 13/udp
netstat 15/tcp
chargen 19/tcp ttytst source
chargen 19/udp ttytst source
ftp-data 20/tcp
ftp 21/tcp
ssh 22/tcp # Secure Shell
telnet 23/tcp
smtp 25/tcp mail
time 37/tcp timserver
time 37/udp timserver
name 42/udp nameserver
whois 43/tcp nicname # usually to sri-nic
domain 53/udp
domain 53/tcp
bootps 67/udp # BOOTP/DHCP server
bootpc 68/udp # BOOTP/DHCP client
kerberos 88/udp kdc # Kerberos V5 KDC
kerberos 88/tcp kdc # Kerberos V5 KDC
hostnames 101/tcp hostname # usually to sri-nic
pop2 109/tcp pop-2 # Post Office Protocol - V2
pop3 110/tcp # Post Office Protocol - Version 3
sunrpc 111/udp rpcbind
sunrpc 111/tcp rpcbind
imap 143/tcp imap2 # Internet Mail Access Protocol v2
ldap 389/tcp # Lightweight Directory Access Protocol
ldap 389/udp # Lightweight Directory Access Protocol
submission 587/tcp # Mail Message Submission
submission 587/udp # see RFC 2476
ldaps 636/tcp # LDAP protocol over TLS/SSL (was sldap)
ldaps 636/udp # LDAP protocol over TLS/SSL (was sldap)
#
# Host specific functions
#
tftp 69/udp
rje 77/tcp
finger 79/tcp
link 87/tcp ttylink
supdup 95/tcp
iso-tsap 102/tcp
x400 103/tcp # ISO Mail
x400-snd 104/tcp
csnet-ns 105/tcp
pop-2 109/tcp # Post Office
uucp-path 117/tcp
nntp 119/tcp usenet # Network News Transfer
ntp 123/tcp # Network Time Protocol
ntp 123/udp # Network Time Protocol
netbios-ns 137/tcp # NETBIOS Name Service
netbios-ns 137/udp # NETBIOS Name Service
netbios-dgm 138/tcp # NETBIOS Datagram Service
netbios-dgm 138/udp # NETBIOS Datagram Service
netbios-ssn 139/tcp # NETBIOS Session Service
netbios-ssn 139/udp # NETBIOS Session Service
NeWS 144/tcp news # Window System
slp 427/tcp slp # Service Location Protocol, V2
slp 427/udp slp # Service Location Protocol, V2
mobile-ip 434/udp mobile-ip # Mobile-IP
cvc_hostd 442/tcp # Network Console
ike 500/udp ike # Internet Key Exchange
uuidgen 697/tcp # UUID Generator
uuidgen 697/udp # UUID Generator
#
# UNIX specific services
#
# these are NOT officially assigned
#
exec 512/tcp
login 513/tcp
shell 514/tcp cmd # no passwords used
printer 515/tcp spooler # line printer spooler
courier 530/tcp rpc # experimental
uucp 540/tcp uucpd # uucp daemon
biff 512/udp comsat
who 513/udp whod
syslog 514/udp
talk 517/udp
route 520/udp router routed
ripng 521/udp
klogin 543/tcp # Kerberos authenticated rlogin
kshell 544/tcp cmd # Kerberos authenticated remote shell
new-rwho 550/udp new-who # experimental
rmonitor 560/udp rmonitord # experimental
monitor 561/udp # experimental
pcserver 600/tcp # ECD Integrated PC board srvr
sun-dr 665/tcp # Remote Dynamic Reconfiguration
kerberos-adm 749/tcp # Kerberos V5 Administration
kerberos-adm 749/udp # Kerberos V5 Administration
kerberos-iv 750/udp # Kerberos V4 key server
krb5_prop 754/tcp # Kerberos V5 KDC propogation
ufsd 1008/tcp ufsd # UFS-aware server
ufsd 1008/udp ufsd
cvc 1495/tcp # Network Console
ingreslock 1524/tcp
www-ldap-gw 1760/tcp # HTTP to LDAP gateway
www-ldap-gw 1760/udp # HTTP to LDAP gateway
listen 2766/tcp # System V listener port
nfsd 2049/udp nfs # NFS server daemon (clts)
nfsd 2049/tcp nfs # NFS server daemon (cots)
eklogin 2105/tcp # Kerberos encrypted rlogin
lockd 4045/udp # NFS lock daemon/manager
lockd 4045/tcp
dtspc 6112/tcp # CDE subprocess control
fs 7100/tcp # Font server
ss_gui 3852/tcp # SunScreen administration GUI HTTP; not confi
gurable
ss_ssadm 3853/tcp # SunScreen remote administration commands; no
t configurable
ss_securid 3855/tcp # SunScreen SecurID PIN maintenance; not confi
gurable

So something in your code is not allow me to use port 21.

Phillip