Re: [gftp] Re: keepalive?

a_k_b wrote:
Am Sun, 26 Oct 2003 20:49:46 -0500
schrieb Brian Masney <masneyb@gftp.org>:

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 02:46:00PM +0100, a_k_b wrote:

i like to edit my php files on the fly per "edit" command @ gftp... but if it takes too long, gftp gets disconnected. isnt there a way to do a keepalive, or is this going to be implemented?
No, I do not want to implement a keep-alive feature. I don't want the client
logged into a remote server for long periods of time if they aren't using it.
For small sites, this shouldn't be a big deal but it is a big deal to large
FTP servers.

I will fix it so that when you are editing a file, if there is a timeout when
it tries to upload the file, it will automatically reconnect and not wait 30
seconds till it tries again.

Brian

> mmmhhh... k.
> but wouldnt it be better to determine if a keepalive is needed and to
> implement it for the cases when it IS needed? for example you could say
> the client to keep alive the connection, if a file is being edited, but
> to NOT to keep alive if its really idle. i think that would be better
> than treaten also a "good" user like a "bad" user...

A bad user is one who ties up an FTP connection when they don't need it. Bandwidth is a limited resource. Editing a file does not require an open connection to the server.

FTP is a file transfer protocol. You transfer the file, edit it, and then you transfer it back. If you need a real-time, constant connection to your server, use SSH, which is designed for that. FTP is not.

-Anthony
http://nodivisions.com/