[gftp] using gftp

Except for one or two instances, I have never been able to get gftp to  work.  I believe it has to do with being redirected;  Many times, when downloading a file, the URL that is shown in the browser is not the actual URL where the file resides.  When this is the case, gftp fails to negotiate correctly intermediate URLs to arrive finally  at the URL where the actual file is.   Most of the time I simply end up using wget within a terminal window to get the job done.  Wget handles the redirection nicely.  Recently, I discovered gui ftp client Web Downloader for X, which also handles redirection.  What, if anything, do I need to do to get gftp to handle the redirection.  Thank you.