Re: Newbie needs help

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Lorne Williams wrote:

> I am in the process of downloading the distribution.
> How big is this thing? I'm up to the "g's" in the RPMS,

THe differential section is less than 100MB. The base redhat mirror takes
up much more. If you're short on HD space, get a RH 5.2 CD and install the
contents of the differential subsection on top of RH 5.2

> I may be considered typical of a large segment of the
> market. Here's what I want to do:
> - install a minimum system,

This is not so typical. Most users have more than 200MB HD space available
for their operating system.

THe other stuff you mention is pretty typical.

> Does anyone have a plan that will get me going in a 200 MB
> Linux partition?

You can theoretically. But it's pushing the limits. Try imagining
installing Windows xx on a machine with 200MB of HD space and you get a
pretty good idea. The more features you add ( DOS->Win3.1->Win95->Win NT )
, the more space you use.

Here's a plan anyway: grab the Redhat 5.2 CD. When it comes to selecting
packages, choose individually, and keep it minimal. Don't install LaTeX or
Emacs. Don't install developement tools. Do install the X window system.

If you have any space after that, try installing KDE.