Re: Newbie needs help

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Lorne Williams wrote:

> > contents of the differential subsection on top of RH 5.2
>
> Sorry, can't afford it. Don't want to either! I want to get

The noncommercial versions are avilable for about $2-.

> > > Does anyone have a plan that will get me going in a 200
> MB
> > > Linux partition?
>
> How about 300? What's the minimum?

300 should be enough for a decent install with X. Of course, you're not
going to be able to install the fancy apps (analagous to your comments
about win95 ... ) , but it's good enough to get you rolling with X.

> It worked. I didn't care that it was slow or lacked snazzy
> apps. It worked enough to get me excited about the potential
> of it. That's the sort of starting point I want with Linux.
> Get me into X and let me explore.

Cool. If this is what you are looking for, yo can get away with less disk
space.

> Perhaps someone could do this, and take note of the packages
> required. Keep the accessories to a minimum. One text
> editor, one game, an email program, a news reader. A starter
> system for the end user - non programmer.

A base KDE install on top of a bare bones
linux setup just about does it. KDE includes a browser, email client, etc.

Add Netscape to that if you have enough space.

One game ? my pick is (tetris clone ... ) xtrojka. I just
can't kick the tetris habit.

-- Donovan