Re: independence (fwd)

In this case (with the RPMs), the name screwups are not as important as the case
of the RPMS directory.  I downloaded to Win95 and transferred them to a ext2fs
partition in RH5.1.  While Win95 dropped the multi dots, Linux ignored the Win95
long filename and truncated to the Win95 default 8.3 format.  I was faced with
the massive task of fixing all the names, but decided to try the install first.
I had some script errors (I identified them to the list but never got a response
- do they matter or not?) but all the packages were identified and installed.  I
have had no problems running KDE although I have had to use a workaround -
startkde won't do a startx or xinit so I have had to run xinit followed by
startkde in the console window that appears.  I would assume that the install is
smart enough to ignore the bad filenames and delve into the guts of the RPMs
themselves to find out what package is inside.

Brian Wiens