Re: Newbie Idea

> At 11:42 AM 4/23/99 -0700, you wrote:
> >> The mail from "Newbie needs help" gave me an idea.
> >> Why not have a version of Independence without all the
> >> programming applications? MS Windows does
> >> not ship w/Visual C or Visual Basic. It would make the
> >
> >Thank you Rob, for restating my main point so succintly.
> >
> >When I get my Linux Mandrake 5.3 CD I will aim for a
> >*minimum* install for a single user, and X, and KDE. No
> >development tools. No command line. Just like a (*horrors!*)
> >Windoze consumer!
> >
> I think that's a great idea! Does anybody in the Independence Project know
> what RPMs are *not* needed if one is not a hacker or programmer? I'm pretty
> sure that would cut down needed disk space and download time (if a person
> *had* to download rather than buy a Redhat CD.

Once you have purged the install you must build a new comps file.  You
will see it is not so easy.  But the problem is that once you have
leaned the distrib it will be still a 30$ download for a french
customer dowloading through modem (people on LAns don't need your
cuts).  Same for about everyone outside North America.  For that price
you can get a book with a CD and IMHO you would be better with it.

A thing who would be useful would be to a new category besides
workstation and server.  Workstation partitions automatically and
installs a selection of packages but these are too hackersistic.  We
could have soimething like funstation or home station (pick a name)
heavy on games abnd real life software but purgeed of everything
related to development.

I don't know if we will have time to implement it before 0.2 that is
mid june.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org